Sunday, June 17, 2007

This I Believe

This is a revival of an older radio program format, but brought into the new century with web access. The series This I Believe is a group of essays--rather 500 word statements of faith--by Canadians read on the radio daily and then posted on CBC. The series is opening with 40 prominent Canadians, and we the public are invited to contribute our essays for consideration. While I was a little concerned about the universality of the program because of the host, I think Preston Manning has mellowed with age, and the mandate of the show is definitely not restricted to any one Christian line; it is about "values and beliefs that guide their daily lives" (talk about Bowdlerization). Still, I read some of the 'prominent essayists' and they do fit the bill and the variation in their offerings is fascinating. I think it will be an interesting experiment. I hope to catch a few of the oral presentations soon. Check them out as they air on CBC Radio One weekdays after the 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. newscasts (except Monday evenings) which began Monday May 14 for twelve weeks. You can see more about the program at http://www.cbc.ca/thisibelieve/.

No comments: