Sunday, July 15, 2007

Hero of the Week

My favourite composer in the cosmos is Arvo Pärt, the Estonian-born writer of sacred choral and instrumental pieces who has recorded with choirs and ensembles from many countries. I will allow that he is perhaps an acquired taste, but if he hooks you, you've got an instant chillin' strategy. This is my deep-breathing/visualization/meditation replacement. This man's understanding of the human soul is so profound that it is hard to describe and really just insists on faith: you have to stop trying to understand the music on any level and just surrender to it. I recently found some cd's of his music that I had not heard before, so the Pärtometer is back in the red zone. http://www.arvopart.info/ has some MP3 audio samples you can check out.

No comments: