Sunday, September 9, 2007

Hero of the Week


Alas, another loss to the Christian arts community! One of my favourite authors, Madeleine L'Engle, died this week at 88. She is perhaps best known for her novels inspired by her curiousity about quantum physics, such as A Wrinkle in Time, but she also wrote extensively about faith and the arts. Since she bristled at the label 'children's writer' (which she felt was a slur to like authors, and an insult to children), I will emphasize that although my daughter read several of her books at around age 12, I read some of the same ones, and they had me hooked. She also chronicled family life (The Crosswicks Journals), and wrote many adult-themed novels based on biblical sources; one that I have not cracked open yet is The Genesis Trilogy. Ms. L'Engle was unapologetic about her Episcopalian worldview. She is greatly admired in our household.

No comments: